Wednesday, September 07, 2005

How I got started

I have always liked movies. Trying to figure out how effects were made. When in High school we had a really great History teacher, Mr. Ron Green. He also taught Film studies. So we always saw films either in History, Industrial Revolution--How Green was my Vally, Westward expansion-- She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. and so on. Film studies was great and Mr Green was the best. I heard that he had a heart attack and passed away. That saddened me. Needless to say he hooked me not necessaraly the craft but how to watch. He always advised against us trying to make a film as a project as it was very complicated and expensive. (these were the days before the ubiquitous video cameras)
Fast forward about 5 years. I am 22 or 23 and taking Gung Fu from one of Bruce Lee's former seattle students, Jim Demille. Jim always wanted to make a movie about Bruce's real life here in Seattle. I gave him some $$ as startup capitol on the promise that I would be involved in the production. WE used to practice moves for Jim on camera. I always played the bad guy.
These pictures are of me getting beaten by Steve Friend. I wonder whatever happened to Steve.

Aren't I Bad? Adn Yes that is a Reefer Man Jacket. Go Figure

Anyway it was this experience that gave me my first taste of the Seattle Film Making Community. Jeez what a bunch af arrogent jerks.

You couldn't possibly make your little movie and the people you have involved have absolutly no credentials.

Needless to say Jim struggled wioth the idea for a few years but to no avail. As for myself I was going to try regardless.

Next Karl Krogstad and dating Actresses.

2 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, Blogger Morris said...

The adventure begins.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I always love to hear about people who, unlike me, have the nerve to follow their love of film much further than I ever have yet, and glad my rant about the great Bruce Lee good memories for you .. And it definitely just again drives home the fact that I need to move to a much bigger city!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home