Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Argument

Well I pulled the trigger and decided to go ahead and start reading actors for "The Argument" This will be a ten minute short wherein the two players are fighting Evolution vs Creation. I had originally written the script as just a really fast back and forth between the two opposing viewpoints. I fall down on the side of evolution but I did not want that view to taint the script. I feel that I was successfull in that for the most part. The two actors I read were Diane Matson and Jim Tobin. We got together on Sunday and read throught the script a couple of times. This was an "Audtition" for Jim but truth be told he will be fine for the part and my real goal was to hear the script for the first time. We had fun and I taped the last two performances so I can go back and rewatch em. overall the actors get snaps for their work and I really like how well they take direction. At a recent audition I helped tape I asked an auditionee to pick up from a point in the script and the other actor got a bit snippy about that. Sure I want to work within the process but Really, If I want you to start in the middle of a scene you darn well better be able to pull it off and none of this annoying touchy feely crap. Wow did I just say that. I guess it bugged me more then I thought and besides it was Matt's audition so it is his problem.

Anyway I am happy so far and I am still buzzing from the feeling of having my words fleshed out. A feeling that frankly I have not enjoyed in over 20 years. So Now I just need to come up with duckets for production costs. I do not want a huge crew but I will need camera and boom and someone to help with the lights. Lights I could get by with a Junior a couple of babies and some inkies for kickers if the truth be told and a really lean but usable grip package say 4 C stands and some assorted flags and some sand bags. A bit of CTO and CTB to balance the lights a roll of Grip tape and some streaks and tips and a few photo floods for practicals and we are golden. The Camera will need sticks and a highhat as well as a rail dolly but MS has that from Jeff. Diane cued me into a woman who has a camera package and some lowell lights but from what she said she has some Totas which are not really the best for sculpting. An Omni kit would be cool if free. yeah Free. therein lies the rub. I will need to feed and gas whoever comes along for the ride. It will all work out one way or another but still it is causing me some stress.

5 Comments:

At 5:52 PM, Blogger Grish said...

That's pretty awsome. You'll have to let me know how it turns out.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Eric said...

Wow A comment!!! Stay tuned grish Ill blog the process and thanks for stopping by.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Lex Lata said...

My sister and I used to have that argument all the time (yes, seriously). Will your version degenerate into name-calling and hair-pulling, too?

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Eric said...

No it end in an agree to disagree mode. Sort of how it wrote itself.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Morris said...

Yeah I'm sensitive to those actors. You know me. Congratulations on the reading!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home