Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Chuh!

So I am sitting in my cube yesterday plugging away at looking busy when I really have nothing to do. Matt walks by and says he was out and got a call from Dixi who was the UPM on Fortune Hunters. She asked him if I was available to work on a show We-Fri from ... get this, 6 PM to 4 AM. After I did the Danny Thomas Spit shot, matt explained that he really could not speak for me but the likely answer would be a resounding no. He was correct but I called her that evening and listened to her pitch. I had to explain that I have a full time day job (which she knew or at least should have known) and that I get up at 5:30 in the AM to got to afore mentioned job and Oh yeah I also make about twice what they were offering per day for this job. I thanked her for thinking of me and explained that I would be happy to work on weekends if anything came up and I had no prior engagements. I was polite. I am always polite when recruiters call. It is the the right thing to do cause you just never know when you may need em. And Recruiters like myself have a long memory.
Regradless I was flattered she called and if I had the time I would have done it.

4 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Blogger Grish said...

I actually occasionally have the same problem with others as well. They forget that I have to work 9 hours a day, regardless of what I do.

I had someone bring me a computer to work on the other day and they asked if I could have it fixed in like 2 hours. They brought to me while I was still at work ... hehe

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Knitty Yas said...

do you ever just want to say "Screw it" to your job and go back to the beck and call of these recruiters?

sometimes i wish someone would call me and say "Yasamin! I need you to make me a wicked evening gown stat! Drop Everything! I will pay you outstandingly!!" and i would drop everything and make that wicked hot dress and everyone would want to know who made it and it would be me... who works in a cubicle.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Eric said...

Not really, I have a comfortable and stable job but I understand where you are coming from. I am just at a different point in my life with family mortgage and pvt school to pay for.
And I was not implying that dixi is a recruiter. She is a friend and I am glad she called. It meant that I did my job well on fortune hunters and left a good impression. That made me fell warm and fuzzy.
But now I am in the Software business and have been so for about 15 years. Recruiters were calling constanly during the dot com bubble and still call on occaision.
After the bubble burst the calls became nonexistent but I did have to find work so I had to deal with them regardless. Problem was that no matter how polite and upfront I was when they were beggin me to come to work for some doomed Dot Com the all acted like shit heads now. I suppose it is human nature and a sign of market mentality but still it left a bad taste in my mouth.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Knitty Yas said...

yeah people these days are all about An Eye For An Eye.

I myself am very unforgiving. but when it comes to business and my money, i dont screw around. i could never understand how someone can let their past rejections turn into present retaliation. so silly.

silly people.

they should eat more watermelon. heheh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home