Thursday, August 24, 2006

Of All The Unmitigated Gall


Last week I recieved an email form this guy that got my contact info from the indie film website. He sent a rather long winded pitch for people to come work on his film which is a feature to be shot in the near future.
I responded stating that I may be interested and that I was busy on another project, Matt's, in september but I could perhaps give them some weekend days in October.
The other day I received another email that he sent to all who responded to him where he claimed he was going to answer all the questions he received. Fine. This turned into yet another long winded diatribe which boiled down to come and work with us on this project for deferred payment. Deferred means you will not get paid. That is cool I am not looking for paid work I just like doing the work. The right people and the right project can be a lot of fun. But given the guys propensity towards writing these incredably long emails that really imparted no information other than to make you gloss over it smacked of some guy on a scam. I have worked with these types before and even though they are sincere in wanting to make their show they never manage to do it. Or it is crap and no one gets paid.
So I check on the web and IMDB produced nothing and Google produced his web site.
I decided to decline. I thought about calling him out on his tactic but thought better of it and simply sent him an email declining participation and wished him luck.
So this morning at 7:30 I am walking to my office from the bus stop and my cell phone rings. I answer it and this guy is on the phone and starts to lecture me on how films dont happen by luck but..and I hung up. Sorry bro but dont call me and start lecturing me for declining to volunteer on your project. He called back immediatly but I just ignored the call. I mean really. All I did was wish him and his project well but chose not to take part in it and this is how he responds? Now I have serious doubts as to the future success of this show. I have been wrong in the past, as in my prediction that Chthulu would never get finished but that is the exception not the rule.

[Edit]
I recieved the following reply in my spam box this evening when I returned home

P: Why such a fucking prick?
E: How would you respond to a 7:30 AM Lecture from a complete stranger? on my cell minutes nonetheless
P: You too good for this?

E: Why yes, yes I am.
P: All I wanted to do was ask you WHY you weren't interested.

E: And I tried to spare him the real reason
P: I don't need to know.

E: Fine
P: You're just one of those overly self important pieces of shit that the industry doesn't need.

E: Not really but thanks for caring
P: Your name is now shit!

E: No, my name is Eric.


Nice huh.
I was going to keep his name out of this but I'm pissed off now so he is
Paul D. Grover
CEO Pontifex Productions

Avoid him like a plague

EDIT 9/25/2009
I deleted and turned off a few comments on this post because it became a public snark zone between the subject of this post and his EX.
Get a room kids

9 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Blogger Dom said...

Was that dude's name Paul?

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Eric said...

Yes

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Lorraine said...

Well, crap. Look at the name of the production company. Pontifex? Methinks Mr. Man has a bit of a thing going on with himself. Sheesh.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Grish said...

Oh my! Persistent bugger isn't he...

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Morris said...

I wouldnt even do a 7:30 Call time.
However I do need someone to run food for me maybe he is available. That would be great. Here is your sandwich Mr. Eric Sir.

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, welcome to the club. The club of people who've had the extreme displeasure of getting within earshot of Mr. Grover. I, myself, have been a member in good standing of this club for many, many years.

It's nice to know some things in life never change. Unfortunately it seems that it's only the annoying things in life that remain the same.

- Seattle Traffic
- Shortage of paying film jobs in Seattle
- Paul Grover

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Eric said...

Amen to that Bob Amen to that.
He did provide me with yet another ranting diatribe of an email but I am done mucking about with the guy.
And I note that today someone from Tacoma spent some time on the blog so I will likely expect to receive yet another rant when I get home. Oddly I put his email on the junk senders list but it did not appear to take.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Iwanski said...

What a dickweed. I'm going to punch a dude like that some day, I just know it.

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wrote the previous post, the one about Paul Grover of Pontifex Productions and my "working" with him in 2002. I believe that I need to add further elucidation to my previous comments.

When I refused to take Grover's abuse any longer, he demanded to know where I lived. Eric, your story of his harrassing and stalking you is true to form. The very thing that he did to you is the very thing that he did to me: hate-filled e-mails and hate-filled phone messages showing his harrassing, stalking nature.

I contacted my lawyer about Grover's harrassment and stalking. I didn't issue a restraining order, but I was on the verge of doing so.

I've met other people who have been ripped off by Paul Grover. He makes endless, empty promises that he does not have any intention of fulfilling. And when these people, like me, refused to work with Grover any longer, Grover harrassed and stalked them, either by e-mail or by phone.

As I mentioned, I have heard that Grover has been in mental hospitals on several occassions. Some call him a stupid, incompetent, sociopathic loser with delusions of grandeur.

If you proceed with Paul Grover, you proceed at your own risk. Enough said.

 

<< Home