Monday, October 16, 2006

Finally Saw Dailies

This Saturday Matt, Mark and Bruce came by and we watched pretty much all the footage we shot for Sans Vie. Overall it all looks pretty good. The performances are fantastic and the for the most part the lighting did exactly what I wanted it to do. The only exceptions being where it appeared on my TV some scenes seemed to be too dark. Increasing the brightness fixed the issues. The dinner scene really was disappointing in that it was colder then I had expected it to be. Very stark. As in the previous post the picture from Jessica Stein, was what Matt was looking for but given the location and the lighting it was really like I said cold. Not bad but was not what I had hoped for. One of the key mistakes I made was that we wanted to cut the light about 2/3s down the far wall. I used the barn doors to achieve this and it took too much of the light off the far wall. I really should have used the scrims to cut this back. Live and learn. It is usable though and that is the good thing. The hallway stuff looks great and it turned out to be exactly how I had envisioned it to be. The deuce played very nicely at the end of the hall and created some really nice layering. Though we are going to have to do some level and color correction in the final copies.
One of the issues we ran into was that we had concluded at the beginning that the camera was running at about 125 ASA and then mark changed his mind and we bumped it up to about 200. These were the slides we kept in our meters. The truth of the matter was that the different lenses used changed the relative speed of the camera and we should have changed our slides accordingly. Mark and I discussed this and concluded that a day of testing would probably have been smart. Again Live and learn.
The exteriors I really did not take part in because I had a wedding to attend but man oh man that stuff looks great too. I think that we have a real special show here and I cannot wait to see a rough cut.
The wrap party is this Friday and Matt says there will be a trailer available after that. When he posts it in his myspace I’ll make a link.

On another sad note, If you recall my post last summer about Fortune hunters at the Kau Kau BBQ, Swish the fish has passed away. Take a momemnt

Also Blogspot seems reticent to allow images so no Picture for you

3 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Blogger Grish said...

Looking forward to seeing how the film turns out. Sad about the Fish though, you don't see a Dog size aquariam fish everyday...

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Eric said...

Woof-glub-Woof

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Lorraine said...

RIP, Swish.

You forgot to mention the super fantastic chili. I realize that's not really part of the story but, well, it was for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home